You may have heard recently that cases of COVID have been increasing rapidly over the last few weeks. The Health department statistics are showing increases in hospitalisations, prescriptions for antivirals and cases in monitored settings such as nursing homes. At Twin Waters Pharmacy we are seeing evidence of all of these changes too.
What can I do to protect myself?
The WHO has a great page that goes through in detail the best actions to avoid a COVID infection and minimise spreading infection if you do catch COVID.
The summary of the advice is:
- Get vaccinated as soon as it’s your turn and follow local guidance on vaccination.
- Keep physical distance of at least 1 metre from others, even if they don’t appear to be sick. Avoid crowds and close contact.
- Wear a properly fitted mask when physical distancing is not possible and in poorly ventilated settings.
- Clean your hands frequently with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of used tissues immediately and clean hands regularly.
- If you develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19, self-isolate until you recover.
To read more on any of these points, please visit the WHO COVID Advice for the Public web page.
Please stay home if you are sick.
If you test positive for COVID, Influenza or other respiratory infections please stay at home. We provide same day delivery services that reduces the risk of spreading infection. Please give us a call and we will assist you to get the treatment you need quickly and safely.
There are new COVID vaccines. What should I do?
If you are due for or have booked a COVID vaccination, DON’T WAIT. There are many reasons that you should get vaccinated as soon as possible.
- The current vaccines still provide very good protection against severe disease
- A vaccination takes approximately two weeks to provide full protection and we are entering a very social time of year.
- The availability of vaccinators is limited and waiting times to get an appointment are growing, meaning you could be waiting weeks before you can get vaccinated.
- With the government closing vaccine distribution over Christmas there is no guarantee that the new vaccines will be available the time of your appointment.
Current vaccination recommendations
The current recommendations for getting a COVID vaccination are:
- 18-64 – Consider a booster if you haven’t had one this year
- 65-74 – Recommended to have at least one vaccination this year and consider a second.
- 75+ – Recommended to have TWO boosters this year.
Boosters should be given 6 months after your last vaccination or COVID infection.
You can view the chart of the full recommendations.
Make an appointment today!
To make an appointment at Twin Waters Pharmacy to get a COVID vaccination please visit our bookings page. We have limited abilities to book appointments over the phone and will likely need to call you back to get details.